DIRECTIONS (Qs. 1-5): In the following questions, some of the sentences have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence has an error The number of that part is your answer Your answer is (d) i.e., No error
1. He is a university professor (a)/ but of his three sons (b)/neither has any merit. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (c) Neither is used for two things. For more than two
things, none should be used.
2. After knowing truth, (a) they took the right decision (b)/in the matter. (c) No error (d).
Ans. (a) After knowing the truth will be correct usage.
3. t is time you (a)/ decide on your next (b)/ course of action(c)/No error (d).
Ans. (b) It is time/It is high time is followed by the clause in simple past that shows present time. Hence, decided on your next should be used.
4. He who has suffered most (a)/ for the cause, (b)/ let him speak. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (c) Replace let him speak by should be allowed to speak.
5. A cup of coffee (a)/ is an excellent complement (b)/ to smoked salmon. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (d) No error
6. Judge in him (a)/ prevailed upon the father (b)/ and he sentenced his son to death. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (a) Sometimes Common Nouns are used as Abstract Nouns as they express qualities. In this situation, we use 'the' before them. Hence. The Judge in him should be used
7. Nine tenths (a)/ of the pillar (b)/ have rotted away. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (b) In these sentences, the subject is one that comes after 'of'. Here, the word pillar is singular, hence, has rotted away should be used.
8. One major reason (a)/ for the popularity of television is (b)/that most people like to stay at home. (c)/ No error (d)
Ans. (c) Here, replace that most people like to stay at home by most of the people like to stay at home.
9. Our efforts are (a)/ aimed to bring about (b)/ a reconciliation(c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (b) The word aim takes preposition 'at'
Hence, at bringing about should be used
10. Three conditions (a)/ critical for growing (b)/ plants are soil, temperature, chemical balance or amount of moisture (c)/ No error (d)
Ans. (c) Chemical balance and amount of moisture.