Sentence Completion for SSC CGL, CHSL and IBPS Exams
In the following questions, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word. Four alternates are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four.
1. The court _______ cognizance of the criminal’s words.
Answer 1. Took
2. _________ wins this civil war there will be little rejoicing at the victory.
Answer: 2. Whoever
3. As he got older his belief in these principles did not _________.
4. Everyone in this world is accountable to god ________ his actions.
Answer: 2. For
5.Your father used to be the principal of this college.
- did he ?
- does ?
- didn’t he ?
- doesn’t he ?
Answer: 3. didn’t he ?
6. A wise man profits _________ the mistakes of others.
Answer: 2. from
7. My friend has written a ________ account of his journey to the mars.
Answer: 4. Factual
8. speed is _________ essence.
Answer: 4. of
9. I was washing my face as the insect ________ quietly into the bedroom.
- Was creeping
- Has crept
Answer : 1. Crept
10. During the recent floods two third our city _________ in ruins.
Answer : 4. Was
English - Sentence Completion Practice Set-1 for SSC CGL and CHSL Exam
11. have _________ Lakshmi for the past twelve years
Answer : 3. Knows
12. He did not not qualify ________ the jobs.
Answer : 1. For
13. _______ the last ten years we have been victims of abuse.
Answer : 2. For
14. The strike has been called ________
Answer : 3. Off
15. He is always angry ________ his children.
Answer : 1. with
16. The Chairperson brushed _________ my suggestion.
Answer : 3. Aside
17. She politely asked him ________.
- To leave her hand
- To give up her hand
- To release her hand
- To let her hand go
Answer : 3. To release her hand
18. Unhygienic surrounding _______ health problems.
- Give rise to
- Bring into being
- Call for
- Set in
Answer : 1. Give Rise to
19. The engineers ________ this bridge since last year.
- Have repaired
- Had repaired
- Have been repairing
- Are repairing
Answer : 3. Have been repairing
20. There are some people who doubt the ________ of anything they see in a newspaper.
Answer : 3. Veracity
21. In certain traditions, the husband is________as the breadwinner and the wife is expected to play a________role.
(A) counted; unequal
(B) treated: unique
(C) perceived; subordinate
(D) believed; subservient
Ans. (C) perceived; subordinate
22. The two parties have to______cach other's sensibilities and______towards a win-win merger
(A) seek: move
(B) develop; look
(C) respect, work
(D) accept; develop
Ans : (C) respect, work
23. I _______that my pocket______picked.
(A) realized; had been
(B) had realized; was
(C) realized; is
(D) had realized; has been
Ans: (A) realized; had been
24. Josep______from his job because he was_______for promotion
(A) left; declined
(B) gave up; refused
(C) left; asked
(D) resigned; sidelined
Ans: (D) resigned; sidelined
25. Only______people are______after death.
(A) virtual; known
(B) virtuous; remembered
(C) brave; forgotten
(D) vicious; admired
Ans : (B) virtuous; remembered
26. Because it does not aim to_______to the masses and strives for an______view, art is fated to be always under attack.
(A) defer; individual
(B) cater; alternate
(C) appeal; universal
(D) afford; independent
Ans: (B) cater; alternate
27. You must apologize _______him ______the wrong you have done.
(A) from; on
(B) to; against
(C) from; against
(D) to; for
Ans: (D) to; for
28. After I _______ dinner. I ______ T.V. for a while.
(A) had finished; watched
(B) finished; watching
(C) had: had watching
(D) had finished; will watch
Ans : (A) had finished; watched
29.I________him because of his
(A) admire; hypocrisy
(B) detest; generosity
(C) love; impertinence
(D) hate; rudeness
Ans : (D) hate; rudeness
30. Enemies are almost always _____as they share the same _______of hatred, suspicion and betrayal
(A) common; features
(B) similar; intensity
(C) different; feelings
(D) disparate; qualities
Ans : (B) similar; intensity
31. I ______lunch one hour ago.
(A) have had
32. He thought that my car ______ for sale
(C) has been
(D) will be
Ans :(B) Was
33. He tried to prevent me ______doing my duty.
34.To the dismay of the student body, the class president was _______berated by the principal at the school assembly.
Ans : (A) ignominiously
35. I would apologize if I______ you.
Ans : (D)were
36. The hotel was not to expensive,_______________?
(a) was it ?
(b) want it ?
(c)is it ?
(d) isn't it ?
Ans. (a) was it? – is the correct question tag.
37. Like humans, Zoo animals must have a dentist _________their teeth.
(d) to be filled
Ans. (C) Must have a dentist filling is the correct use of tense.
38. It was very kind of you to do the washing-up but you________ it
(a) didn't have to do
(b) hadn't to do
(c) mightn't have done
(d) mustn't have done
Ans. (d) Correct use tense in the given context.
39. He went __________ sea alone.
Ans. (C) Alone supports the preposition 'into.'
40. The ______________ of our civilization from an agricultural society to today's complex industrial world was accompanied by war.
Ans. (d) It means a striking alteration in appearance, character etc.
41. The court _____________ cognizance of the criminal's words.
Ans. (a) Idiom takes cognizance of something means: to understand or consider something to take notice of something.
42. __________ wins this civil war there will be little rejoicing at
Ans. (b) Whoever wins is the correct use.
43. As he got older his belief in these principles did not____________.
Ans. (a) The word wither means: to become less or weaker.
44. Everyone in this world is accountable to God ___________ his actions.
Ans. (b) for.
45. Your father used to be the principal of this college__________ ?
(a) did he?
(b) does he?
(c) didn't he?
(d) doesn't he?
Ans. (c) didn't he?.