Sentence Correction for SSC CGL, CHSL and IBPS PO & Clerk Exam
DIRECTIONS (Qs. 1-25): In the following questions, some of the sentences have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence has an error The number of that part is your answer Your answer is (d) i.e., No error
1. He is a university professor (a)/ but of his three sons (b)/neither has any merit. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (c) Neither is used for two things. For more than two things, none should be used.
2. After knowing truth, (a) they took the right decision (b)/in the matter. (c) No error (d).
Ans. (a) After knowing the truth will be correct usage.
3. t is time you (a)/ decide on your next (b)/ course of action(c)/No error (d).
Ans. (b) It is time/It is high time is followed by the clause in simple past that shows present time. Hence, decided on your next should be used.
4. He who has suffered most (a)/ for the cause, (b)/ let him speak. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (c) Replace let him speak by should be allowed to speak.
5. A cup of coffee (a)/ is an excellent complement (b)/ to smoked salmon. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (d) No error
6. Judge in him (a)/ prevailed upon the father (b)/ and he sentenced his son to death. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (a) Sometimes Common Nouns are used as Abstract Nouns as they express qualities. In this situation, we use 'the' before them. Hence. The Judge in him should be used
7. Nine tenths (a)/ of the pillar (b)/ have rotted away. (c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (b) In these sentences, the subject is one that comes after 'of'. Here, the word pillar is singular, hence, has rotted away should be used.
8. One major reason (a)/ for the popularity of television is (b)/that most people like to stay at home. (c)/ No error (d)
Ans. (c) Here, replace that most people like to stay at home by most of the people like to stay at home.
9. Our efforts are (a)/ aimed to bring about (b)/ a reconciliation(c)/ No error (d).
Ans. (b) The word aim takes preposition 'at'
Hence, at bringing about should be used
10. Three conditions (a)/ critical for growing (b)/ plants are soil, temperature, chemical balance or amount of moisture (c)/ No error (d)
Ans. (c) Chemical balance and amount of moisture.
11. Martin Luther King was one of the leaders (A)/ who (B)/ has followed Mahatma Gandhi (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C. (Replace "Has" with "Had' )
12. Pulses when well cooked (A)/ are not only appetizing (B)/ as well as nutritious. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C. (replace "as well as" with "but also")
13. Admittance for (A)/ the inaugural ceremony was (B)/ only by special tickets. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. A. (Replace for with to)
14. The Government wanted to play the role (A)/ of a facilitator only and was (B)/ keen on optimal development (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. B (Remove "only")
15. I could (A)/ hardly believe (B)/ what he said. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. D (The Whole Sentence is Correct)
16. The office with all its modern furniture (A)/and equipment were sold (B)/ for a meager amount. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. B (Replace "were" with "was")
17. When an university formulates (A)/ new regulations. (B) / it must circulate its decision to the faculty (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. A (Replace "An" with "a")
18. The launch of the first artificial satellite by the Russians (A)/took the world almost entirely unawares (B) / and provocation flood speculation about its significance.(C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C (Replace "Provocation" with "Provocated")
19. Either he (A)/or his wife (B)/ are coming to attend the dinner. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C (Replace "are" with "is")
20. Raghav was unhappy to hear (A)/ the news of his son's failure (B)/ in the examination. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. D (The Whole sentence is correct)
21. He was (A)/ not in a position to state (B)/ the speed the ship travelled. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C (Put "At" after "travelled")
22. Some categorically suspected (A)/ having seen the (B)/ guard and thief together. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. A (Put were before suspected )
23. By the time she had finished her work (A)/I had nearly given up (B) all hope of arriving at the party in time (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. A (Replace "She had finished" with "She Finished")
24. Where (A)/ have I (B)/ to deposit fees? (C)/No error (D)
Ans. D (The whole sentence is correct)
25. Instead of being (A)/ helpful he was (B)/ being hindrance. (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. C (Put "a" before "Hindrance")